Although FHA is the most common loan today, you will want to be sure to find a loan that fits your needs. Use these comprehensive questions to help you determine which loan is right for you.
1. What are the most popular mortgage loans you offer?
2. Which type of mortgage plan do you think would be best for us? Why?
3. Are your rates, terms, fees, and closing costs negotiable?
4. Will I have to buy private mortgage insurance? If so, how much will it cost and how long will it be required? NOTE: Private mortgage insurance usually is required if you make less than a 20% down payment, but most lenders will let you discontinue the policy when you’ve acquired a certain amount of equity by paying down the loan.
5. Who will service the loan? Your bank or another company?
6. What escrow requirements do you have?
7. How long is your loan lock-in period (the time that the quoted interest rate will be honored?) Will I be able to obtain a lower rate if they drop during this period?
8. How long will the loan approval process take?
9. How long will it take to close the loan?
10. Are there any charges or penalties for prepaying the loan?
This information is used with permission from Real Estate Checklists & Systems ( http://www.realestatechecklists.com ) . Reprinted from REALTOR Magazine Online by permission of the National Association of REALTORS, Copyright 2005, All rights reserved.