1. Protect your credit score.
2. Beware of offers that sound too good to be true a�� they probably are.
3. Become an educated consumer. Talk to your Texas REALTORA� about predatory lending practices a�� what they mean and how to keep from being a victim.
4. Dona��t buy more house than you can afford right now.
5. Think twice about non-traditional loans, such as interest-only and adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs). Fixed-rate mortgages are just that a�� fixed.
6. When purchasing a new home, look beyond the monthly mortgage. Other costs to consider include property taxes, homeownera��s insurance, utilities, maintenance, and, depending on the neighborhood, homeownersa�� association fees.
7. Dona��t sign a blank document or anything you dona��t understand.
8. Know and understand the terms of your mortgage.
9. Dona��t let anyone persuade you to a�?pada�? your income to qualify for a loan.
10. If youa��re having trouble making your monthly mortgage payment, dona��t hide from your lender. Work with your mortgage lender to find out what your options are.
11. Work with your Texas REALTORA�, Krista Wright 832-585-3035, to find a reputable lender and a loan product that works for you.