Four to six weeks prior to moving:
- Consider having a garage sale or donating to charity to dispose of unwanted items.
- Begin to use up all frozen and canned food.
- Make a list of friends, relatives and businesses that need to be notified of your move.
- Fill out change-of-address cards. If you don’t know your permanent address the post office will hold your mail for you.
Two to three weeks prior to moving:
- Begin to pre-register your children in their new school.
- Collect all medical, dental and veterinary records.
- Determine what moving expenses are tax-deductible. Local IRS office should have the appropriate information.
- Contact an insurance agent in the area so your new home, automobiles and personal possessions will be covered when you move.
- Have automobiles serviced before the move.
- Take pets to the veterinarian and obtain health and rabies certificates. Make arrangements to transport family pets.
- Call for telephone, utility and appliance installations in your new home.
- Transfer bills, bank statements, financial documents, etc. to your new address.
- Donate any food items that you do not want to move to a local food bank.
One week prior to moving:
- Pack everything that will not be packed by the mover.
- Discontinue newspaper service.
- Collect all valuables and personal documents from safe deposit box.
- Reconcile and then close checking accounts. Get cash or traveler’s checks for the move.
- Withdraw and/or transfer savings accounts.
Three days prior to moving:
- Schedule moving company to arrive.
- Pack for the move.
- Carefully supervise movers.
- Make sure you double-check your inventory and check all paperwork before signing.