At Register Real Estate Advisors, our agents help clients move both locally and around the world. If you are moving and need a checklist, see below for some moving tips. This is a great moving checklist for Realtors and Consumers that will help you with all of your relocating and moving needs.
- Post Office:
Give forwarding address.
- Change Accounts, Credit Cards.
Notice requires several weeks.
- Friends and Relatives.
- Cancel any automatic payment or direct deposit
- Transfer funds & arrange check-cashing in
- Arrange credit references.
- Safe deposit box.
- Notify company of new location for
coverage: Life, Health, Fire and Auto.
Disconnect, refunds for deposits, final bills.
- Cancel laundry & newspaper services.
- Change-over services.
- Register in school.
- Transfer school records.
- Arrange for day care.
Medical, Dental, Prescription
- Ask Doctor and Dentist for referrals.
- Transfer needed prescriptions: eyeglasses, medications, etc.
- Obtain birth records, medical records, X-rays,
- Obtain all records.
- Ask about regulations for licenses,
vaccinations, tags, etc.
And Don’t Forget To:
- Empty freezer; plan use of food.
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator.
- Place charcoal inside to dispel odors.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs and clothing before moving: have them moving-wrapped.
- Check with your movers about insurance coverage,
packing labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of
- Plan for special care needs for your infants and
- Assemble first day items – soap, toilet paper,
pencils, paper, toiletries, bath towels, utility knife, scissors, trash bags,
- Arrange for storage (if needed).
- Find out about tax-deductible moving expenses.
- Obtain all personal records from lawyers and
- Have car checked and serviced for the trip.
- Pack a day or two worth of extra clothing in
case of delay.
Your New Address
- Check on service of gas, electricity, water,
telephone, garbage and cable T.V.
- Check pilot light on stove, hot water heater,
- Have appliances checked.
- Ask mail carrier for mail he or she may be
holding for you
- Apply for state driver’s license (or just
address changes if needed).
- Visit city offices and register for voting.
- Register car within five (5) days after arrival
in state or a penalty may have to be paid when getting new license plates.
- Obtain inspection sticker and transfer motor
- Arrange for medical services: doctor, dentist, veterinarian, etc.
Our Friends at North American Title Company gave us these ideas!