Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, non-irritating gas, which when breathed into the body, combines with the blood and prevents it from absorbing oxygen, causing illness or death. CO usually is produced while burning fuels such as gasoline, coal, wood, charcoal, kerosene, natural gas, propane, heating oil, and almost any other combustible material. Improperly adjusted or poorly maintained fuel-burning equipment and appliances can cause dangerous levels of CO to accumulate when a home is tightly sealed and not properly ventilated.
How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide (CO) in Your Home:

• Never operate an automobile, lawn mower or any combustion engine, barbecue grill or similar equipment in an enclosed area such as your home, garage, tent, or trailer, even with the door open.
• Never leave a fire smoldering in your fireplace.
• Make sure to have a carbon monoxide alarm(s) installed in your home.
• Have fuel-burning equipment regularly inspected by a qualified technician.
• Never try to heat a room with a gas range, oven, clothes dryer or portable fuel-burning heater.

These tips and helpful information are from http://www.CenterPointEnergy.com

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment