HOUSTON (Houston Chronicle) – Under new rules that went into effect this month, new or remodeled coastal properties in so-called velocity zones must carry flood insurance if they want to buy wind insurance from the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association.

The areas affected are National Flood Insurance Program rating zones V, VE and V1-V30. Properties so designated are usually close to the water and considered at high risk of flooding, with possible damage by storm surges and high-velocity water. Much of the Bolivar Peninsula, for example, falls under one of these categories.

The rules apply to properties “constructed, altered, remodeled or enlarged” after Sept. 1, but do not apply to those being repaired after hurricanes Ike and Dolly, according to Jim Oliver, director of the association.